The most fun you can have in digital advertising today is competitive conquesting. Your advertising clients will eat it up. And you sales team will be knocking out the signed insertion orders. “How?”, you ask. Programmatic display advertising. That’s how.
Programmatic marketing is automated bidding on advertising inventory in real-time, for the opportunity to show an ad to a specific type of customer, in a specific context, or location.
You can’t get any more targeted than showing your advertiser’s potential customer an ad while they are on their phone at a competitor’s location.
Think of the possibilities!
Adding revenue extension offers to your advertising tool box is the quickest path to new revenue and owning more of the digital advertising dollars spent in your market. Niche publishers are adding this offering because it is a natural extension of their magazine. Advertisers can reach those same coveted readers wherever they go across the web and on mobile. Programmatic benefits:
- Increase brand exposure for your current clients, as a natural extension to your offering
- Target your client’s competitor’s locations, increasing their share of voice in the market
- Re-target customers who visit or commute through any businesses’ location
- Track off-line or “last mile” conversions to measure your advertising’s effectiveness
- All for a fraction of the cost of Google Adwords
The “programmatic” part of this type of display advertising allows publishers to buy inventory based on a specific audience, in-real-time, at a competitive price. Usually it is only available to large National brands and corporations – but now you can bring this technology to your local customers without the hassle and cost of high platform fees and monthly minimums!
Publishers are putting programmatic into practice to support their own native advertising, email newsletters and event marketing. Take your next big event to the next level, be it a “Rose Brunch Fest” or a specialty trade show for your industry. Use programmatic as a complement to the promotions you offer vendors and sponsors:
- Define your target audiences – be precise: Who are they? Where are they during the course of their day, week, month? Where do they work? In what part of town do they live?
- Layer on your programmatic tactics:
- Re-target by marketing to potential event attendees who come to your site to read a related article, a native piece on a Sponsor, or a sponsored email.
- Use a Sponsor’s customer database or your own subscription details to geographically target just those attendees that fit your audience profile.
- Use keyword re-targeting to market your event just to people who have “Googled” related keywords.
- Identify competitive events, and market to those attendees
The results will speak for themselves. This type of advertising is fully transparent.
You’ll be able to show your advertisers:
- The number of impressions delivered
- What geography, the geo-fences, competitive locations targeted
- The keywords used to deliver impressions
- The click-through rate
- And, the number of people who saw the ad, then attended the event, visited an advertiser’s location or acted on the ad
With this level of reporting and detail, your sales team will become a fan of this offering. And, because they will see how this marketing naturally complements your current advertising, you will see your overall revenue increase and renewals are a breeze. Win! Win!
More about Charity: Charity Huff is CEO of January Spring, a digital marketing & advertising agency that partners with niche media companies to make the most of digital. January Spring helps publishers grow their digital audience and subscribers through social media, e-newsletters and website redesigns. As a natural extension of that work, the agency also provides the very best digital and social solutions these publishers can bring to their advertisers. Prior to starting January Spring with her partner, Shannon McBride, Charity built the advertising analytics platform, Tru Measure, widely used by the US newspaper publishing industry.
Niche Media has the best events, education, and training in media! Our super niched-out events & content give target-audience publishers in the B2C, hobbyist, B2B, city & regional, and association markets the tools they need to build revenue, audience, and more.